Replacing My Garmin GPS12XL

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by dredgerat55, Apr 14, 2024.

1. dredgerat55

dredgerat55

My GPS12XL has finally met it's end and I would like to replace it with a unit similar to this unit but a new or newer unit with basically the same features. I use it mostly on the uncharted portion of the Missouri river between Yankton, SD. and Ponca, NE where there a lot of snags. What I need is a unit that can record my track and return that I can follow in real time. I don't need a lot of fancy bells and whistles just a unit that will get me out and back safe by following the track. Are there any Garmin units out there that might fit the bill? I have been looking at the Garmin GPS73 and wonder how that might fit in? Thanks for any advise that anyone might be able to give.

dredgerat55, Apr 14, 2024
  2. dredgerat55

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Virtualy any current GPS will fit your requirements of recording / displaying Tracks, the GPS73 being both waterproof and floating seems to fit the bill quite well, it has a much better GPS receiver which uses both GPS (USA) and GLONASS (Russian) satellites. On the down side it has a very low resolution grey scale display and next to no maps, other units will provide a high resolution colour display and detailed mapping if you want it

The GPS73 is not exactly edge of tech. as it is getting on for 10 years old, but as the GPS12xl is over 25 years old you will see a big difference in performance, however newer devices will offer better feature which you may want

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2024
  3. dredgerat55

dredgerat55

Would the GPS73 have approximately the same resolution as the GPS12XL and also I'm not as concerned about the map situation as being able to create a track and follow it up and back.

dredgerat55, Apr 15, 2024
  4. dredgerat55

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The display resolutions are :-

GPS12xl . . . 100 pixels (56 mm) high x . 64 pixels (38 mm) wide
    GPS73 . . . . .160 pixels (54 mm) high x 128 pixels (36 mm) wide

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2024
Ask a Question