Better directions than Garmin?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Brewerpaul, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

This is for anyone who has owned both Garmin and Tom Tom stand alone car GPS.

Which do you find gives better directions? My Garmin SmartDrive 61 LMT seems to being getting senile. It keeps giving me TERRIBLE directions. It will take me off a highway,through a little town, then back on the same highway. Instead of having me simply make a permitted left turn, it may take me a quarter mile further down the road,around the block in a residential neighborhood, back towards my destination on the original road, and them make a right into the parking lot.

This unit is several years old. Do they go bad?

Maps and software are updated, route preference set for shortest time. Thanks.

Brewerpaul, Oct 9, 2020
  2. Brewerpaul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's very difficult to say which satnav maker does a better job, they all have a formula that is used to calculate a route, this is usually based on progressing from sideroards to bigger roads where possible and then back down to sideroads again, the formula can be changed a little with user preferences like Shortest, Quickest, avoid Highways etc. and obviously the maps have to be accurate

Satnavs are kept up to date with map updates, I can't think of any reason for it 'going bad', are you sure your preferences are not set to 'Shortest Distance' rather than 'Shortest Time'?, this could account for leaving a highway and then rejoining it, also any options like 'Avoid Highways' or ' Prefer Sideroads' will make a difference

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

Thanks for the reply. I've double and triple checked my navigation options and they are definitely set correctly.

Brewerpaul, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Brewerpaul

chippehawk

Hello Brewerpaul,
    I also own a DriveSmart 61 LMT and I have had similar experiences especially when i intentionally or unintentionally deviate from a pre-programed route while driving. On more occasions than I would like the GPS does not find the most efficient or accurate roads when automatically replanning the route back to my ultimate destination. I may already be on the best road to return only to have the device try to route me off the road with a series of unnecessary circuitous directions. I constantly update all software and maps.

Any suggestions on the best Navigation preferences to minimize these issues? I appreciate the response from Nuvi-Nebie as he gives good advice to many problems. Maybe it's just the number of GPS satellites communicating with the device during the replanning process that causes these errant instructions?

chippehawk, Nov 30, 2020
  5. Brewerpaul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your problem may be due to Basecamp using Waypoints rather than using shaping points, if the Route is generated using Waypoints then each Waypoint MUST be visted, if you make a detour and miss a Wayooint you will be directed back to the missed waypoint, as if you were a delivery driver for example , however if you use shaping points along a Route rather than Waypoints then you will be directed to the next shaping point towards your final destination, you are not forced to visit each shaping point along the way because there is only one destination, not multiple destinations

Here is are some examples of Shaping Points and Waypoints

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-routes.46540/#post-226625

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 30, 2020
Ask a Question