Dialog message "Need Traffic compatible cable"

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by billgiblet, Aug 31, 2024.

1. billgiblet

billgiblet

I have a DriveSmart 55MT, using the TA20 power cable supplied with it. After a couple of years of use,it's now starting to pop up this dialog informing me that the power cable is not compatible with the traffic feature. My main squawk about this is that the dialog (aside from the fact that it is bogus) covers the entire screen and has to be cleared by a manual button press. GARMIN, if you are listening, this forces me to VIOLATE the hands free driving law in my state, Minnesota, and could open you up to a lawsuit.

Traffic info is not a drop-dead feature, and should not be annunciated this way. Maybe a symbol in one of the bars at the top or bottom of the screen indicating if it's working or not. I mostly use the GPS on road trips through rural areas where there isn't now, and never will be any live traffic info.

I upgraded from my former Nuvi for this very reason. It started happening so often it made the device unusable. This latest round started happening since I my latest update a few weeks ago, so I suspect Garmin has reintroduced a bug or just plain stupid "feature" that is being triggered by low or no signal in rural areas. Or maybe the USB connector is going bad and not providing a good connection to the antenna wire in the cable. Either way GARMIN, it sucks.

Anybody else having this problem?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    billgiblet, Aug 31, 2024
  2. billgiblet

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some satnavs have a power cable that has both a aerial and a traffic radio receiver built-in, but as fas as I know the TA20 has just an aerial that feeds a traffic radio receiver that is in the satnav unit itself, I don't know if the satnav can distinguish between aerial disconnected (bad contact in USB plug of broken wire in cable) and an aerial that can't get traffic data because there non is being transmitted in your area

I would have thought that you could stop the 55MT displaying messages about loss of traffic data by turning Traffic off in the menus eg:-
    2024-09-05_12.05.57.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 5, 2024
Ask a Question