Garmin 64ST Loses Waypoints in the field

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by tgc92, Aug 28, 2024.

1. tgc92

tgc92

Several times now (at least two, I think three) my 64ST will 1) take 10 minutes to load 2) when it finally starts my stored waypoints are no longer there. I'm on multi-day canoe or backpacking trips so there is no recovery in the field (that I have thought of -but maybe you guys know?) My older GPS60CSX never has done this.

tgc92, Aug 28, 2024
  2. tgc92

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

My only 'In The Field' suggestion would be to turn the 64ST off, remove the microSD card and then turn the unit back on, this may temporarily fix the loss of waypoints, however waypoints and maps can be stored on both internal and microSD memory so this may not help. if you can see waypoints and the unit has a useable map stored on internal memory you can leave the microSD out until you sort this out

After the trip I would copy all Waypoints, Tracks etc. to a computer, (maps don't need to be included) and then perform a factory reset on the 64ST and copy all files back to the 64ST

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 29, 2024
  3. tgc92

tgc92

Thanks. I'm actually at the "after the trip" part tonight and can't even get it to connect to Basecamp program at all. So I'm trying the remove the SD card suggestion. I'm pretty sure I have it backed up enough times I can reset with no loss.

Interesting - removing and replacing the card the waypoints are back, and apparently they are only on the card, while the internal memory has the tracks

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    tgc92, Aug 30, 2024
Ask a Question