Garmin Automobiles LMT is slow Acquiring Satellites

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ErnieAd, Jul 4, 2024 at 4:47 PM.

1. ErnieAd

ErnieAd

Hi,

My Garmin 50 LMT takes around 10 minutes to acquire the satellite information.
    This is after placing it under direct open sky where it has found the same satellites many times before.

Of course, when it was newer, it acquired the satellite info quickly.

What should I do to speed it up?

Thanks for your help!
    ErnieAd

ErnieAd, Jul 4, 2024 at 4:47 PM
  2. ErnieAd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

A GPS receiver has an internal oscillator which it matches to a received frequency, over time the internal frequency can 'drift' away from what is received making it more difficult to 'lock on' to the satellites, although I think it is possible to correct this frequency offset, it isn't something a user could do and it's very unlikely you will find anyone else willing / capable of doing so

In order to prevent your problem getting worse I suggest you regularly get the unit to 'find' the satellites, because if the unit does not get a 'fix' for a long period is is more likely to get to a point where it never finds the satellites

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2024 at 11:20 AM
  3. ErnieAd

ErnieAd

Hi,

From what you are saying, I assume that the unit is beyond repair since the wait times are presently not acceptable. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help and info.

ErnieAd

ErnieAd, Jul 5, 2024 at 6:17 PM
  4. ErnieAd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The internal oscillator is affected by temperature so you may find that the unit gets a fix quicker when it is hotter or colder than normal, I personally wouldn't get rid of the unit while it is 'sort of' working but that's a personal choice, if the unit is suffering from frequency offset there isn't much the user can do about it

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 6, 2024 at 3:10 PM
Ask a Question