Garmin DriveSmart 86 off road maps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by annieme, Jul 12, 2023.

1. annieme

annieme

Can you get off road maps for the DriveSmart 86? Or do you have to buy a separate GPS unit for off road trail riding? If so, whic one is the best with a large screen like the DriveSmart 86? Thanks.

annieme, Jul 12, 2023
  2. annieme

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can install off road maps onto a Satnav intended for road use but there are limitations, although you can display an off road map, your Satnav may want to 'keep you on the road', some older Satnavs will even move the current position marker to a point on the nearest road, others will show your true position but will not follow (or display) an off road Track and will only show Routes along roads

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2023
  3. annieme

Burnt_Chrysler_404

Can confirm this. I bought a Garmin DriveSmart 65 and loaded an off road Map for snowmobile trails.

It displays the Off road Trails just fine and is a good reference to show you were you are.

However if you are trying to use the Drivesmart to Navigate to a specific destination, it will not calculate a route using the off road trails. You can select "Navigate off road" and it will create a Straight line from your current position to your designation, so its not totally useless....but it can be clunky.

I bought this unit not knowing the lack of off-road capability, so BUYER BEWARE, lol.

Check out the Garmin Zumo XT2 if you have the $$$$

Unless someone has figured out how to put the Garmin Zumo XT software on a Drivesmart, than I may be upgrading....The $600+ price tag is still a deterrent though.

Burnt_Chrysler_404, Oct 19, 2023
Ask a Question