Garmin Express Question re detected model numbers.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bucko, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Bucko

Bucko

I currently have 3 Garmin Nuvis, all different models but all with the LM extension (one with LMT) which indicates Lifetime Map updates. The weird thing is when I open Garmin Express, it only shows the base model number, eg 'Nuvi 50', instead of 'Nuvi 50LM'. I could have sworn that the full model number used to show up in Garmin Express - has something changed. Also weird, if I turn the unit on and look at Device info, it also only shows the base model the LT is not shown (same for all three models). Am I crazy? How do I know if the maps are updating (I updated the maps and firmware on at least one, just last week.

For at least one unit, I had a bad power button so ended up buying a broken one for parts, just to replace the case. The case shows LT but I can't remember whether the original unit was a LT or not, and can't figure out a way to confirm.

Bucko, Sep 27, 2023
  2. Bucko

Bucko

So, Garmin Express doesn't show the LT (or LTM) designations but my device profile on the Garmin site does, so I guess things are working as expected?

Bucko, Sep 27, 2023
  3. Bucko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The only difference between LT / LMT and non LT / LMT is an agreement with Garmin that the unit will be updated, there is no physical different in the unit itself, Garmin Express checks for the presence of certain software on the unit to determine if an updated is allowable or not, if Express says there is an update available it has decided that the unit is an LT / LMT, It is worth noting that users have reported an update had stopped working when a unit has not been updated for a couple of years, this is because Garmin say you need to keep updating, if you leave a few years gap they claim the unit is no longer valid for update

Changing the case on a unit won't change it's LT / LTM status, the status is held in the the main printed circuit board

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 27, 2023
Ask a Question