Garmin GLO 1 and WAAS with Glonass satellites

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by vcaf_user, Jan 16, 2023.

1. vcaf_user

vcaf_user

Are WAAS corrections in use with Glonass (Russian) satellites? More specifically, I have a Garmin GLO 1 receiver which I use with the Ultra GPS Logger application on my Android phone and I have been disappointed by the lack of accuracy in the measurements that I have made. As an example, I show multiple traversals of the same two connected straight lines marked off by string from a survey of a site boundary between two condominium associations, on this Google map
    Code:
     google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1JfZ2H91cT-2HSqcebxtgl7NpS8m9AbM&usp=sharing

The displayed track lines can be as much as 27 feet apart, as measured with the Google Map ruler. These four traversals were made with the Garmin GLO 1 attached to the top of my head covering. From what I have read, the Garmin GLO 1 and Garmin GLO 2 differ only in battery life.

vcaf_user, Jan 16, 2023
  2. vcaf_user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

WAAS only corrects GPS (USA) satellites, a combination of GPS + WAAS and GLONASS is better than GPS or GPS + WAAS on their own and if you can add Galileo and Beido as well so much the better, Galileo is reguared as the most accurate but usually the 'other' constellations can only be used when combined with GPS (USA)

A dual band (L1 + L5) GNSS receiver will give better accuracy than the above combinations, these are used in some smartphones and dedicated products such as the Garmin GPSMap 65 / 66

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 17, 2023
Ask a Question