Garmin Montana 650 Power button cover

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bucko, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Bucko

Bucko

Like, many others, the power button cover (rubber?) on a recently acquired Montana 650 has broken and a chunk is missing. Does anyone know a source for replacement button covers?

Attached Files:

Bucko, Jul 13, 2023
  2. Bucko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like the 'Button' is part of the case, I can't see how this could be fixed

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2023
  3. Bucko

LostAgain

LostAgain, Jul 16, 2023
  4. Bucko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Well spotted, it is a very expensive piece of rubber/plastic but hey, the only alternative is a new case which will cost a great deal more, I think the biggest problem will be waterproofing the joint

The fact that someone is selling a 'patch' to fix this problem makes me think that Garmin have created a weakness in the design of this button

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2023
  5. Bucko

LostAgain

Yes it seems to be a common problem as they age, especially if often exposed to the elements.
    Garmin's lack of enthusiasm when it comes to repairing an otherwise perfectly working device is somewhat disappointing, but that's Garmin.

Apparently some people have had success with the original button's hole using pencil erasers trimmed to the right size/shape and held in by ducting tape, others have cut a pencil eraser or a piece of rubber to shape, placed it in the hole and used silicone to hold and weatherproof it, and I have read that others have just used some type of silicone only, which apparently works for a while.

LostAgain, Jul 17, 2023
Ask a Question