Garmin Nuvi 2599 LMT-D will not "see" connection to the PC

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by myststars, Jul 1, 2023.

1. myststars

myststars

Hi
    I bought a Nuvi 2599 LMT-D unit second hand and it doesn't see the pc connection.I have tried two cables.I dion't have the garmin mini-USB original cable.It did come with the original Garmin auto cigarette charger and it works in the car.The connection drawing apears in the car with cigarrete and also it's charging.I don't get the connection screen on the PC when i connect the cable.It doesn't charge the unit either.
    I put it in another laptop and still no connection.Do i need an original Garmin data cable ?
    Thanks

myststars, Jul 1, 2023
  2. myststars

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some Garmin products use a mini USB plug which is the same physical size as the standard mini USB plug but it uses a fifth connector not normally utilised, this ID pin used by Garmin changes the 'mode' that the GPS operates in eg :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/why-do-i-have-satnav-charger-problems.47349/

I am not sure if the 2599 requires this 'Garmin only' cable, however Genuine Garmin cables also use 24 AWG power wires whereas cheaper USB cables use 28 AWG wires for all conductors and this thinner cable can also cause problems

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 1, 2023
  3. myststars

myststars

You are right.There is a "special" 5 pin gps / garmin advertised on Aliexpress.I haven't received the usb data cable when the GPS arrived.Thanks for info and time.

Here is how it is advertised on Aliexpress:

"Mini 5pin USB SYNC DATA TRANSFER POWER CHARGER CABLE CORD PC CONNECT FOR GARMIN NUVI GPS:"

myststars, Jul 1, 2023
  4. myststars

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I couldn't find that on Aliexpress, do you have a link to the page

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 2, 2023
  5. myststars

myststars

myststars, Jul 2, 2023
  6. myststars

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK got it, Thanks

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 2, 2023