Got screwed by Garmin .... 76CS

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by mackconsult, Jul 30, 2012.

1. mackconsult

mackconsult

I have loved and used my Garmin 76CS in my boat, sprinter, and on my XR600R. Have the city select and the blue charts software along with TOPO maps using mapsource.

This all started back in 2008 when my unit failed for some reason. Sent it to Garmin and they sent me a refurbished one with out even asking me. So my unlock codes for my software were re-associated from my first unit ID to the second. Then in 2011 my unit died again, I called garmin and they said I could send it in to be repaired or get another unit. Bought another unit on ebay last week, and now I am not allowed to associated my unlock codes to this 3rd unit.

Not only did they not warn me of the two unit ID policy when they send me the refurb unit, but also they didn't warn me about not associating a third unit to the unlock codes.

Not I have software that doesen't work, a useless GPS, and have to invest in another 76CX with all new software :mad:

mackconsult, Jul 30, 2012
  2. mackconsult

COhland

Completely agree that Garmin does not take care of its customers. Well, at least not those that don't feel that Garmin can walk away from its older products.

I purchased a GPSmap 76CS in 2006. I recently moved across the country from the right coast to the left coast. Garmin will no longer allow me to purchase a new unlock code to open a new map region. My only option is to purchase a new map product at a full price.

I purchased a iNAVX application for my iPhone at 25% of the cost of the Garmin map and have a better product and access to all maps. It is unfortunate that my Garmin 76CS retailed price in 2006; $400 (plus the BlueCharts $160) isn't much better than a paperweight in my office and a reminder not to purchase from Garmin.

Garmin, get with the new times.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    COhland, Apr 23, 2013
Ask a Question