GPS 45 XL won't turn on

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bob Sayers, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Bob Sayers

Bob Sayers

A appreciate that this is a very old unit (Garmin's own site doesn't even recognise the model number!) but it was bought in Canada when they first came out and has been a worthy companion for many years until stored for the last three without batteries. I have installed fresh batteries (the battery contacts are clean) but it still won't turn on. I will purchase a further set of fresh batteries just in case that is the problem.

I have seen the earlier post about the internal lithium cell expiring, but I can't even get as far as the procedure described in that reply.

As this now seems long past any repair by Garmin, has anyone opened the case of the unit so that I can check whether there is anything obviously wrong?

Best regards,

Bob

In the heart of the Norfolk Broads.

Bob Sayers, Aug 25, 2023
  2. Bob Sayers

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The internal battery is definitely one possible cause of your problem, these early units were fittted with either a rechargeable battery like the VL1220 in my GPS38 here :-
    IMG_5009s.png

Or a larger non rechargable battery like the BR2032 in the GPS12XL, in this case the battery is connected to the main board by two wires

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2023
Ask a Question