GPS for GPX ?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ach At, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Ach At

Ach At

Hello,
    I'm looking for a car GPS with .gpx file import function to follow my own track.
    I have contacted Garmin who have not replied.
    Would you have an idea?

In the past I used to use a Zumo 660 on my motorcycle, and it had these handy functions. But now it's impossible to update...
    Thank's

Ach At, Jul 4, 2023
  2. Ach At

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin use the terms Track and Route to explain different function on GPS units (see below), GPSs for cars (Satnavs) usually allow the import of Routes but not Tracks, this is because most Satnavs stay on the road or path that is on the map, so it can't handle off-road Tracks and on-road Tracks should be converted to Routes

The Zumo (for motorcycles) has off-road features, why is you Zumo 660 not possible to update ?

NOTES :-
    1. A Satnav will auto-route in between waypoints in a Route (following a road / path)
    2. A Track is made up of waypoint joined by straight lines with no auto-routing

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2023
  3. Ach At

Ach At

Thank you for answering,
    First, I reset my Zumo.
    Next, I launch the Europe update, specifying that I'm requesting the update for the computer only (it's not possible to fit a memory card large enough to support these new updates), as I've always done.
    Loading starts normally, then stops at 6%.

Ach At, Jul 5, 2023
  4. Ach At

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The only explanation I can think of is that you are running out of disk space on your computer, I always download to 'computer only' as Garmin Express does not manage memory space on almost full Satnavs very well
    The Zumo 660 can take a 32GB microSD card, are the maps you want to download really that large ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2023
  5. Ach At

Ach At

I have more than 836 GB free on C:
    On the other hand, the Zumo 660's microSD is 8 GB. Garmin technical support told me I can't go any further with this model!

When I choose the option to download only to my computer, I don't think I can select a part of a country at this level?

Maybe my Zumo didn't like my last motorcycle crash!

Ach At, Jul 5, 2023
  6. Ach At

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The link above is showing 32GB for the Zumo 660 although it does show 8GB for the Zumo 665

Screenshot_20230706-083234.jpg

I can't explain why the 'Computer Only' option is not working and can only suggest you make sure you have the latest version of Garmin Express

I don't think CN Europe is bigger than 8GB in any case, I think you are correct in saying that you can't select a part of a map with Garmin Express although you can do this with Garmin Basecamp once the map is downloaded

There is a notice on the Garmin website saying that older Satnavs are no longer covered by the 'lifetime' map update as they have insufficient memory, it says the Zumo 665 is no longer covered, however the Zumo 660 is not on that list :-
    https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=FbLi6qISMH8vJG5A1p9tW5

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 6, 2023
  7. Ach At

Ach At

Thanks for your help.
    I'm giving up on Garmin maps. :(
    I downloaded the OpenstreetMap maps with no problem, it seems easy to find towns and villages and I can follow my own route built on MyMaps!:)

Ach At, Jul 7, 2023
Ask a Question