GPSMAP 66SR turns on when I charge it

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Leroy, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Leroy

Leroy

I'm on my third unit because this model have issues with the calibration function. This third unit finally works in that regard, but for some reason the unit turns on everytime I want to charge it(the two previous units did NOT do that). I have no want nor any need to have the unit turn on when I'm going to charge it, so how can I fix this?

Leroy, Aug 26, 2024
  2. Leroy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If all 3 units are the same model running the same version of software it is hard to see why one should act differently, it is possible that it would act differently if it was connected to a different charger, eg:- a low power charger may perform 'charge only' while a higher power charger may perform 'charge and navigate'

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2024
  3. Leroy

Leroy

No need to dwell too much on same units and what not because no electronic unit should ever turn itself on just because you plug it into a socket. If we want to charge a device the chances are way higher we are not going to use it at the same time, which is why the default on any device should always be to remain turned off.

So, that out of the way I only look for a solution to fix the problem and I have not been able to find anything apparent in the menus.

Leroy, Aug 26, 2024
  4. Leroy

LostAgain

Garmin apparently has a different opinion about what a device should do when plugged in to a power supply.
    Some Garmin devices turn themselves on automatically when they detect an external power supply.
    Some of their devices it can be controlled in the settings what happens when external power comes on or goes off.
    It seems with the 66SR that setting cannot be controlled as Garmin in their wisdom didn't include it.

From the Manual:
    When you connect the device to a power source, the device turns on.

Perhaps to charge it, plug it in and leave it plugged in, then once it's finished starting itself up shut it down again, it should continue to charge and will charge faster than if it's fully powered on at the same time.

I have a Montana 610 that powers itself up when it detects external power, so I leave it plugged in and once it's finished starting itself I just shut it down again and it continues to charge.

LostAgain, Aug 26, 2024
  5. Leroy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Good luck with that, you won't find one, it is quite common for units to power up when fed from say a 1000mA supply and go into charge only when fed from say a 300mA supply that can't charge and navigate at the same time

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2024
  6. Leroy

Leroy

If you don't have advice you sure have a lot to say...

Leroy, Aug 26, 2024
Ask a Question