GPSMAP 8616 glass screen hot to the touch

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Salty Dayz, Aug 2, 2023.

1. Salty Dayz

Salty Dayz

So I just upgraded the electronics on my 30’ Century center console from a 5212 to the 8616 and WOW what a beautiful GPS screen with really cool features. Got the boat out on the water and played with the sonar, radar, and navigation screens and combos and everything worked just as it is supposed to. Definitely this is the nicest GPS unit I have ever owned and I am super excited to learn all the things it does.
    When we got back to the dock after running around for a few hours I noticed when I powered the unit off the screen was really hot when I put my hand on it. Not burning hot to where it burned me but extremely warm and over 100 degrees. It is mounted in the same place as the old one was and is under hard top so not getting direct Sun.
    My previous Garmin units where never even warm on the screen so I was wondering if this is just normal for a glass screen on the 8616? Anyone else have the same head unit and experience the same issue?
    Thanks for your feedback.

Attached Files:

Salty Dayz, Aug 2, 2023
  2. Salty Dayz

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The 86XX series have been reported as 'hot' for some years, specifically the 8610 and 8617, as this unit has large cooling fins on the back of the unit, it looks like it is expected to get hot, I suspect due to the large screen and the high brightness required for marine environments, the Spec. quotes temperatures up to 131 F

fins.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 3, 2023
  3. Salty Dayz

Salty Dayz

It got so hot that the screen froze up and I couldn’t get anything to work including the power button and had to turn off breaker to turn off. This is not acceptable for a $6,000 unit to have this problem. I am even more concerned that it has been happening for years with no fix.
    I wonder what the solution is from Garmin?
    Thanks

Salty Dayz, Aug 3, 2023
  4. Salty Dayz

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think Garmin would argue that being 'warm to the touch' is not a problem that needs fixing, the unit can dissipate over 60 Watts after all, however a unit getting hot enough to shut down is clearly not acceptable and I would contact Garmin for a replacement

Part of GPSMAP 8x16 user guide
    2023-08-03_20.09.43.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 3, 2023
Ask a Question