GPX to Basecamp to Nuvi 2599 to actual navigation - how?!

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by whizzo, Jun 23, 2023.

1. whizzo

whizzo

Hi folks
    Hope somebpdy can help - I'm reaching the end of my supply of patience!

I'm in the UK and do a little off-tarmac riding on my Honda XR400. It's all gentle and legal and respectful stuff, apart from the swearing whenever I fall off...

To help us riders along, there's something called the Trans Euro Trail, and the UK section is described here. (the bit I am trying to get working is the GPX track offered for download near the bottom of the page):
    Code:
    transeurotrail.org/united-kingdom/#4.04/51.101/-3.130

I have a Nuvi 2599 and the GPX file for the Trans Euro Trail is loaded into Basecamp. The GPS connects to the computer and I'm able to convert the GPX to a Route and transfer to the GPS just fine.

But here, the trail goes cold. I can't see where the Route has gone in the GPS, or how to follow it, or how to edit or view it. As far as I know it's just disappeared into thin air. There are no messages or error codes. Either it's a technical fault, or I'm not operating the GPS properly. I really can't tell. All I want to do is use the GPS to follow the GPX track. A simple use case but I can't discover how to do it.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks!

whizzo, Jun 23, 2023
  2. whizzo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

On Satnavs Routes are stored in Apps >> Trip Planner, you should find a list of saved and imported Routes you can pick from there, one possible problem you might encounter is that Routes only follow roads, so if the original Track was off road you won't get what you want

Some Satnavs also allow Tracks (rather than Routes), to be downloaded into them, they are stored in Apps >> Where I've Been and are sorted by Date rather than Track name so the Tracks MUST have time stamps, if Tracks are allowed on the 2599 they might be better to use as Tracks don't have to follow roads

The GB.GPX file contains 21 Tracks and about 1200 Waypoints (POIs), I am guessing you are only sending one converted Track at a time to the 2550, even then some of the single Tracks are hundreds of miles long, you may need to cut down any long Track in Basecamp before conversion to Route and do all editing in Basecamp rather than on the 2599

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 23, 2023
  3. whizzo

whizzo

Many thanks!
    I've heard that it might have dropped into Trip Planner, but despite transferring the Route from BaseCamp to the GPS several times, the Trip Planner app main menu has remained stubbornly blank and empty. Seems like there must be a technical issue, in that case. Do you know what I might try to troubleshoot first?

Thanks!

whizzo, Jun 23, 2023
  4. whizzo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As suggested above, if the converted Track is hundreds of miles long edit it in Basecamp to reduce it's length before sending to your 2559, Also make sure the edited Track has a readable name that you can look for in Trip Planner, is the Track off road ?, if so you may be putting in effort for nothing

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 24, 2023
  5. whizzo

whizzo

Thanks folks. I've since discovered that the Garmin 2599 really struggles with GPX files that contain a lot of waypoints. If there are under 50 or so, the track imports correctly. With 50-150 (appx) it gives the error "Cannot save track". And with any more than that it just silently drops the import.

whizzo, Jun 26, 2023
  6. whizzo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is because the 2599 autoroutes between waypoints and only expects a few 'Vias' along the way, it can produce a Route from only a start and an end pair of Waypoints but it won't produce the track that you want, it will reguard a 100 Waypoint Route as 100 individual Routes joined together and as I keep saying, it won't Route at all it there is no road / path to follow, so it us useless for 'off-road'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 26, 2023
Ask a Question