How to make a trail easy to follow

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Aerofoil, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Aerofoil

Aerofoil

Hi, I'm new to gps's and Garmin Basecamp. I have an etrex 22x. I use it for off-road mountain biking.

After having travelled around and recorded where I went, I now want to plan a trail that I can follow from start to finish and can't figure out a good way to do this is.

I put down waypoints wherever I leave a road to go off-road as a reminder for me to keep an eye out for a sometimes hard to spot trail.
    If I was to use a route then if I miss a waypoint I would be directed back to it which I don't want.

An option would be to download the path I want to follow as a map, but the line I want to follow wouldn't have any arrows, which is a problem when you come to a road section or junction that has to be travelled multiple times and in different directions, making it nearly impossible to know which line you should follow.
    Adding arrows seems like a very simple fix, is that possible?

I'm sure there is a very simple and obvious solution to this but I'm struggling to find it, so any advice or opinions would be great.

Aerofoil, Oct 22, 2023
  2. Aerofoil

Aerofoil

A potential solution I found is linked here
    Code:
    gpstraining.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/24000039734-active-20-colour-route-rendering

I haven't tried this out yet or even know if it's compatible with my GPS, but it allows you to have a route start at one colour and slowly change to another colour making it easier to tell which one to follow. But there's probably a simpler solution in Basecamp that I'm missing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2023
    Aerofoil, Oct 22, 2023
  3. Aerofoil

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to understand the difference between a Route and a Track, Garmin use these terms to describe different ways of getting from one Waypoint to the next, if you intend to go 'Off Road' or 'Off Path' then you need to create a Track, not a Route

I think that the changing Route colour will only work on an Active 20 GPS, not a Garmin device and as stated above you can't use a Route without a map feature like a road or path to follow so it wouldn't work anyway, you can only use a Track which can be generated in Basecamp

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 22, 2023
  4. Aerofoil

Aerofoil

Thanks for your reply, 90% of the time I will be off path, I have tried downloading the trail I want to follow to my GPS as a track. This works to some extent, but the problem is when it comes to sections that cross over eachother there is no way to know which way to turn.

Aerofoil, Oct 22, 2023
  5. Aerofoil

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Although the Track displayed on the screen does not show arrows or a sequence of waypoints, you can get the info. you need if you navigate the Track, eg:- Find >> Tracks >> [select track] >> GO, while you are in Navigate mode the pointer on the Compass screen will point to the next Waypoint, so if you get to a crossroad where left, right and straight on are all on the Track the comapass pointer will point to the next waypoint in the sequence and eliminate the other two possibilities

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2023
  6. Aerofoil

Aerofoil

That's great news and really helps thank you! I tried creating lots of waypoints around junctions and numbering them sequentially to give me some idea. But your way is a far better solution, and I do appreciate you taking the time to help me with this

Aerofoil, Oct 23, 2023
Ask a Question