I accidently erased the software on my garmin GPS now it wont be recognized

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by AdamFF, Jul 16, 2023.

1. AdamFF

AdamFF

Hi. I need some help with my old GPS. So I was trying to update my GPS maps today for the first time in over 6 years. It stated I need a sd card for more storage so I tried putting them on a 32 gig one and then a 16 gig one. This is non-related to the GPS, but both of those sd cards are not showing the correct size which I am trying to remedy still. Anyway, I had the sd card in the garmin and the garmin plugged in and I accidently erased the stuff on the garmin GPS as well. :(

Now it wont boot past the "GARMIN" screen and I cannot reset it without it booting up further. It also is not being detected to the computer I plug it into. I have tried all kinds of things with new/updated USB drivers and software but no joy. It's also not being detected by the garmin express software.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40 - Any ideas?

Thanks

AdamFF, Jul 16, 2023
  2. AdamFF

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You have to try quite hard to even see the operating system folder on a Garmin Satnav, it is usually in a folder on the on the internal memory called .system, note there is a '.' in front of the word System, this folder is usually hidden in Windows unless the unit is placed into Mass Storage mode (See Secret Menus) and the 'view all hidden files' option is selected, you would then see a set of files/folders like Fig 1 :-

nuvi-system.jpg nuvi-system2.jpg
    FIG 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FIG 2

The contents of the .System folder looks like FIg 2

As far as I am aware only Garmin can help with this one, even if you have the complete set of the Nuvi 40 operating system, I think you would still have problems loading it back to your unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2023
Ask a Question