Is Etrex 22x maps broken? (no hillshade)

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ragnor, May 29, 2024.

1. Ragnor

Ragnor

I bought an Etrex 22x and so far it seams like total garbage. There is no topographic map just a really crappy black road map which is useless for navigating in the wilderness. I've tried updating things. I've tried reseting the unit. I've tried using custom maps. Nothing works, Anyone know what is going on here? This thing said it came with topomaps. Garmin.JPG

Ragnor, May 29, 2024
  2. Ragnor

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are there any hills in you picture ?, obviously you will only see features that are included in the topo maps and only when they are in the region you are viewing, for example you won't find contour lines or hill shading in a 'flat' region or when you are zoomed in too much, this does appear to be a contour number from a topo map :-

500-t.jpg

It has been reported that units that have a Marine Chart Mode sometimes display maps with black backgrounds, it may be worth trying something like :- Menu >> Setup >> Marine >> Marine Chart Mode = Off or from map screen select:- Menu >> Setup >> Setup Map >> Select Map >> [set all maps apart from Topo to = 'DISABLE']

See also Setup >> Map >> Shaded Relief

Nuvi-Nebie, May 29, 2024
  3. Ragnor

Ragnor

I have solved this problem, hopefully this may help people in the future. This morning I turned the gps on and the maps worked. Showed terrain and contour lines, trails, everything. I just turned it on again tonight and the screen is black again. Ah Ha! While I consider it utterly stupid, the gps goes black at night and only shows roads.....under settings>Colors:mode and setup>mode. You can change the setting to day instead of auto or night and the maps will work as a GPS should. Day or Night.
    Also: be aware that the 22x will only recognize up to a 32GB sd card. Otherwise it will load all maps onto the internal storage and now the memory is completely full......despite having a completely empty 64GB sd card installed.... Expensive junk this GPS.....

Ragnor, May 30, 2024
  4. Ragnor

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This Garmin page details the 32GB microSD card limit (Click Link HERE), however this information is not in the user manual, which it should be

Nuvi-Nebie, May 30, 2024
Ask a Question