Just bought Garmin 1450lmt and need help!

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by theres126, Sep 16, 2012.

1. theres126

theres126

Hello-
    I just replaced my old Garmin 265 (I think) with a 1450lmt - got a great deal from Amazon.

I tried to update it immediately, following the instructions in the box, but after about 2 hours, it still went back and forth between 88 hours to complete, 119 hours to complete, maybe down to 5, but back up to 89........ I know I have a slow internet here, but I didn't think it was THAT slow. I also had asked for just lower 49, since I don't yet have a SD card. Needless to say, I got tired of it, and hit pause and disconnected the GPS. Hope I didn't mess anything up........ :confused:

Is it typical for the hours left to go back and forth like that? Will I have messed anything up by disconnecting? It didn't look like the bar measuring progress had moved after the first couple of minutes.

Also, I HATE the voices they have - just Jack, Jill, and a hispanic and french one. What can I do about that? I had Samantha before and liked the british ones as well. I can't stand these, and they aren't clear at all.

Lastly, what is the "web updater" I've read about? Is it the same as what I was doing? I did see someone said you may be able to find different voices there. I went to the site for web updater, and it scared me since it said I could make the gps unusable if I download the wrong map.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep this one, or move to a different unit.......... I don't want to spend more than $200, if anyone has a recommendation!

Thanks!
    Theresa

theres126, Sep 16, 2012
  2. theres126

Bernie157

I just got a 1490LMT last week, very similar to yours. I have the same experience with the time to install a new map going back and forth, as well as not having enough memory to install US & Canada, so had to install US only (48, 49, or 50?). I got mine from Walmart online.

My previous one is a 760. I like the 1490 better for the most part except for less memory and no MP3 player.

Bernie

Bernie157, Sep 18, 2012
Ask a Question