Magellan Triton 500 Using Backtrack

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by DuDD-BC, Jun 25, 2024.

1. DuDD-BC

DuDD-BC

I bought my Triton 500 many years ago and have started using it again. While the manual is comphrensive - there are holes in some of the information. I am trying to find out exactly how one uses the Backtrack feature on this Unit.
    It is easy enough once on the map screen when starting a track to activate the back track feature. As an example I am on a route that I must follow the exact route back due to terrain difficulty.
    1) Create a new trail and name it.
    2) From starting point on the new trail I (Waypoint 1) activate the backtrack feature and it confirms backtrack started.
    3) I get to my destination - this is where the " Now what" uncertainty begins
    a) I create my destination Waypoint 2
    b) I save the trail by name
    c) all the while the Trition shows a straight line back to Waypoint 1

4) So the straight backtrack line is not entirely useful other the general direction back to Waypoint 1. So how do I now use the backtrack feature to return on the exact track I came on?
    a) I see a feature called reverse trail - is this to be used? I know how to initiate the reverse. But how again do I follow the recorded trail or do I even use this feature on backtrack?
    b) am I to only follow a heading or ?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

DuDD-BC, Jun 25, 2024
  2. DuDD-BC

DuDD-BC

Perhaps I am overthinking it. the Backtrack just shows a straight line from my starting point to where I currently am. I guess the philosophy is if one is doing a route without back tracking it is providing the direction to the starting point. I was expecting that the Triton would be showing directions or headings to follow when reversing a track.

DuDD-BC, Jun 27, 2024
Ask a Question