New to GPS, need help

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by spitaxe, Jan 4, 2014.

1. spitaxe

spitaxe

Hi,
    I just got an etrex 20 and am completely naive on how to use it. I'm sure I will learn it quickly, but for starters, I didn't realize that Garmin charges almost as much for their maps as they do for the device! I noticed that there are free maps available online (cloudmade, for example), but I am skeptical. I basically have the device for an Italy trip I am taking and would like to have road maps etc. so I don't get lost when driving. Eventually, I will probably want to use it for hiking in the U.S. as well - to set way points etc. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to get inexpensive/free maps?
    2. If yes to #1, are these maps as trustworthy as the ones I would spend a fortune on through Garmin? (in terms of accuracy, functionality and device compatibility)
    3. If I can download free maps, how do I know what file to download? For example, on cloudmade.com, I can download a map of Washington State to my computer but I don't know:
    -what folder to place it in within the Garmin
    -Which of the following maps I should download? The file extensions are Greek to me (and I don't read Greek).

washington.administrative.osm.bz2 (2.8M)
    washington.ai.zip (97.4M)
    washington.coastline.osm.bz2 (5.4M)
    washington.highway.osm.bz2 (60.8M)
    washington.img.zip (20.7M)
    washington.navit.bin.zip (32.9M)
    washington.osm.bz2 (80.5M)
    washington.poi.gpx.zip (1008.9K)
    washington.poi.tomtom.zip (656.6K)
    washington.poly (316.9K)
    washington.shapefiles.zip (67.8M)

Any help would be much appreciated!!

spitaxe, Jan 4, 2014