Newbie question - I think <G>

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Richard McGonegal, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Richard McGonegal

Richard McGonegal

Okay - I have the coordinates of the place I want to go to - expressed as degrees/minutes/seconds etc longitude and latitude

All I want to do is enter those coordinates and navigate to that point - I dont have waypoints or routes or anything setup

Is there something I am missing - I could not find this in any of the menus on my Garmin 78S

thx!!
    rick

Richard McGonegal, Sep 13, 2015
  2. Richard McGonegal

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you want to navigate in a straight line, then create (or download) a waypoint and then FIND >> Waypoints >> Select Way Point >> Go (page 5 of the user manual). If you want to follow a road, track, path etc. that is displayed on the 78s map, you need to create (or download) a route. Waypoints, routes, tracks etc. can be created on a computer running Garmin Basecamp, a free program available HERE, A quick way to create a waypoint on the 78S is to press and hold MARK, and then edit the waypoint with your Lat /Long figures (page 6 of the user Guide)

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Richard McGonegal

jgermann

jgermann, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Richard McGonegal

jgermann

Whoops - I read 785 (a nuvi) rather than 78S ( a GPSMAP 78 S). Looked at that manual and was not able to determine how to navigate to "coordinates" using the device. My bad

jgermann, Sep 16, 2015
  5. Richard McGonegal

ChuckT

How about: Route Planner, Create Route, Select First Point. Then select something nearest to your Long/Lat coordinates (probably have to hunt a bit!) then navigate to that point and then navigate to where you actually want to be.
    Sidebar: I _had_ a 78 and gave it away, wasn't suitable for hiking YRMV. That set (7nas) is meant, I think, for marine use so you should be able to navigate from point "A" (current location) to any other location that you have the coordinates for.

ChuckT, Nov 21, 2015
Ask a Question