Nuvi 1490 Loaded New Maps TWICE but Says NO MAP DATA

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bobinyelm, Sep 27, 2024.

1. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I loaded an update on my Nuvi 1490 and it showed Maps Loaded Up To Date

I tried to use the GPS and when I select Go To Address it says "No Map Data Available"

So I went back to Garmin Express and downloaded the maps again (replace current maps w/ current maps)
    Took another hour to download and again side I had the latest version loaded, but when I try to navigate to an address again it says "No Map Data Available"

What am I doing wrong? I have updated the maps on this device multiple times w/o problems. Am I doing something wrong now?

Thanks,
    Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 27, 2024
  2. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would install Garmin Basecamp on your computer (if not already installed) and then using Garmin Express download using the 'computer only' option (see fig 3), you can then examine the new map in Basecamp and send the new map (or part of it) to your 1490 from Basecamp, this has the advantage of only downloadind once and being to examine the 1490's curreht maps and available space for any replacements, youcan also delete any old map versions on the 1490 before sending a new copy

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 27, 2024
  3. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

Thank-you!

I will download Basecamp and then use Garmin Express to load the maps on my computer in a file.

I don't know how to "examine" the new map in Basecamp but I am sure it's obvious once I get there. And then use Basecamp to send the maps to my 1490 rather than from Express.

Not sure how to delete any current maps from my 1490, but I'm sure there is a provision to do that on Base Camp or Express.

When I bring up "Favorites" they all appear with a map, but if I try to GO TO them they try to start from my HOME address first, so something is totally messed up.

Should I delete and re-download the software ro my 1490 as well, or just the MAPS once I have deleted the old ones?

Thank-you for your help!

Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 27, 2024
  4. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you want any help with the 'Map Install' feature on Garmin Basecamp just post your questions in this thread, don't delete any files from your 1490, you won't be able to replace them, Basecamp can safely delete map files for you but you would only do that if Basecamp has a 'good' replacement map installed on the computer and the 1490 has insufficient space, with Basecamp you can check what maps are currently installed on both the 1490 and the computer, check available space on the 1490 and delete map files if there is insufficient room on 1490 internal memory / microSD card

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 28, 2024
  5. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

Thanks for the latest post.
    I loaded Basecamp but it says it cannot launch (see image below) .

Today I tried a straight update using Garmin Express on a different computer (Win 10 vs Win 7 the first one), and after it recognized my 1490, rather than sayin Maps Up to Date it showed that it could load newer maps, so I clicked Update and it go to Preparing Device for Map Update ("This may take a minute") the progress
    spinner rotates endlessly and after 20 minutes has not started downloading maps with the spinner still rotating.

Does that indicate anything?

Using Base Camp I didn't "do" anything last night, so I don't think Basecamp performed a process
    How do I look at the 1490 to see what is loaded currently? Again, I am a neophyte at this stuff. Garmin Note.png Garmin Note.png Garmin Note.png Garmin Note.png

Thanks,
    Bob.

Garmin Note.png

Attached Files:

bobinyelm, Sep 30, 2024 at 1:50 AM
  6. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

Sadly the forum doesn't have an edit button so I could add to a post, but I used a 3rd (Win 10) computer that seems to connect much easier to my 1490 (the others sometimes/often don't "find" the 1490 and connect to it), and managed to download maps into my computer, as well as load a good set of maps into the 1490.

The 1490 STILL shows "no map data available" but now I am confident they ARE in there, but the 1490 is
    just refusing to access them.

Any assistance in learning how to examine the files in my 1490 would be appreciated.

Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 30, 2024 at 6:44 PM
  7. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

The 3rd computer (Win 10) finally successfully downloaded maps that he GPS would show after 5 attempts (each time of the first 4 I got a red error message), but the 5th time worked

Problem solved (til next time I suspect).

Also it would not show the Micro SD card on Garmin Express (though the GPS showed the data on the cared). I removed/inserted the card several times and finally Garmin Express could "see" the card (It needed the card due to the Map Download Size).

Thanks,
    Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 30, 2024 at 10:41 PM
  8. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Express sometimes has problems managing map updates directly to the GPS, this appears to be because it can't handle the combination of internal memory and microSD memory, Garmin programs (Basecamp and Express) sometimes group internal memory and microSD memory into one 'lump' for certain GPSs and list them separately for others, the problem with grouping all memory together is that splitting a big map across both internal and microSD is a bad idea, the Install Maps feature in Basecamp gets around this as it has more control of where the map is written

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 1, 2024 at 5:51 PM
Ask a Question