NUVI 2539 LMT updating with Garmin Express

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Margaret L., Jun 19, 2023.

1. Margaret L.

Margaret L.

I have tried numerous times to update maps on my older NUVI 2539 LMT using Garmin Express on my MacBook Air. The program allows me to add my device and it recognizes my device but I can’t get any further. That page doesn’t provide any way to proceed to update maps. It is just stuck on that page. Does this mean map updates are no longer available for my NUVI? If that is the case, what happened to the claim printed on the box: “Free Lifetime Maps & Traffic.” Maybe Garmin didn’t expect my NUVI to last this long? Anyone with any ideas?

Margaret L., Jun 19, 2023
  2. Margaret L.

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am not sure which screen you are stuck on, when you click on the 2539 icon in Express (fig 1) you should get a screen similar to Fig 2, which displays 'Searching for updates' and then displays anything that is available, do you get the Fig.2 screen and the Searching for updates ?

Also it would be a good idea to update Garmin Express to the lastest version, currently this is Ver. 7.17.3.0

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 20, 2023
  3. Margaret L.

Margaret L.

Thank you for your reply. It’s not stuck on either of those screens. Never got that far in the process. It freezes after it locates my device and shows it at the top of the page —the page that is for product registration if not already registered. I did internet search last night and found the page on garmin’s site that provides the “small print” about the terms and conditions of the free lifetime maps updates. The terms state that if my little device has not been updated within the past 24 months, then Garmin assumes the device is no longer usable. Then under the terms I cannot update maps. It is my fault for not updating the maps more frequently. Prior to learning this, I went to Garmin website to update to latest version of Garmin Express. It asked for the info on my device and then said the upgrade is no longer available for my device. I have the answer now. I need the updated maps so I will have to buy a new one and make sure I do updates regularly so Garmin will know my navigator has not died.

Margaret L., Jun 20, 2023
Ask a Question