Odd Screen Behavior (Blank Lines) on Montana 650t

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Outrider, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Outrider

Outrider

I have a odd problem to stump you folks!
    I have a long beloved Garmin Montana 650t. I've been using open street maps for routing with no issues for nearly 10 years in my car, in hand, on my bicycle and motorcycle. I truly love this thing.

Recently I noticed that near the top of the screen, there are lines (the top in the vertical orientation) They are about 1 to two pixels in height and stretch across the screen about half-way. Normally I would think the screen was going bad however they only appear when the backlight is on. With just ambient light reflecting off of the TFT, the lines are not there.

The lines are black when the screen is in day mode and oddly enough, white, when in night mode or the background is dark.
    I've already hard reset the unit to no avail. Does the 600 series have two screens? One for backlit mode and the other for when it's not backlit and depending on direct light? I ask because I can't wrap my head around the fact that the lines aren't there when the backlight is off.

Since the lines appear in the header part of most of the screens, it's not as big a deal that it could be if it was in the middle of the display. I can post some images if someone thinks they can help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

Outrider, Aug 31, 2023
  2. Outrider

Outrider

Called on Garmin and they said they would replace the unit for $170 with a factory reconditioned unit.
    Or 20% off another handheld. Thoughts?

Outrider, Sep 1, 2023
  3. Outrider

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2023
Ask a Question