Reset unit won't show route

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bob928, Jun 28, 2023.

1. Bob928

Bob928

My Garmin Montana 650t was running slowly after several years of great service. Thought I would reset the unit to factory specs to remove any settings I had changed which might be slowing things down. Unit display is different but got it usable. Problem is that when I connect it to my car, rather than showing the road route to a destination it displays a straight line trace. When connected I can't access any of the settings. I have traces disabled in the settings when running on internal battery. The owners manual is useless and Garmin has no support.

Bob928, Jun 28, 2023
  2. Bob928

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Q1) Did you manage to complete the 'Factory Reset' ?
    Q2) Do you only get the 'straight line' Route when connected to your car ?
    Q3) Does the 650t show Routes correctly when not connected to anything?
    Q4) What is the 650t connected to when you can't access the settings ?
    Q5) Can you access the settings when not connected to anything?
    Q6) What are 'traces' ? are they Tracks ?

Is this option shown in the user guide ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2023
  3. Bob928

Bob928

Bob928, Jun 28, 2023
  4. Bob928

Bob928

Thanks for the help. I pressed the 'Reset All Settings' button. I get the 'straight line' Route either way. Track log is set to do not record. The 650t does not show routes correctly in any manner. Connected to Toyota 4Runner when I can't access the settings. I can access the settings when not connected to anything. 'Traces' ? are Tracks. I assume the 'option shown in the user guide' you refer to are the Tracks. They are mentioned and I have Track log set to do not record. Before Reset when connected to my car I chose a destination and the unit showed a road path and I got voice information as to where to turn. Now I just get a solid straight line to my destination and no voice instructions. When connected to my car I can't access any Setup tools or apps to make any changes. Setup tools and apps are available when not connected to car.

Bob928, Jun 28, 2023
  5. Bob928

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK, I understand some of the things that are happening, when the 650t is connected to the car it is placed into navigate mode so you probably won't get access to set-ups, but as long as the battery is charged you will be able to get to the set-ups when the 650t is disconnected

It looks like the 650t is not doing any auto-routing at all, normally you can have a Route with with just a Start and Destination and all the other turns etc. are calculated (auto-routed) by the 650t, this will happen if a Satnav is using a map that does not allow auto-routing, are you using the same map you was using before it started 'straight lining' ?

Please Note:- A Route and a Track are not the same thing, Click HERE to see the difference

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2023
  6. Bob928

Bob928

Yes. Same map. I am using the CN North America NT 2015.30 ALL map which came installed on my device.

Bob928, Jun 28, 2023
  7. Bob928

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like you need to select an Automotive profile (not walking / hiking etc.), and select a non-direct calculation method, eg:- Autorouting in that profile, manual page 42 :-

Select > Setup > Routing.

• Activity—allows you to select an
    activity for routing.
    • Route Transitions—available only
    for some activities.

◦ Auto—automatically routes you
    to the next point.
    ◦ Manual—allows you to select
    the next point on the route.
    ◦ Distance—routes you to the
    next point on the route when
    you are within a specified
    distance of your current point.

• Calculation Method—(available
    only for some activities) selects a
    preference for calculating routes.

here is a similar post :-
    https://forums.garmin.com/apps-soft...-an-autoroute-at-all-under-certain-conditions

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2023
  8. Bob928

Bob928

] had already selected an Automotive profile. However, I went to the Routing menu, Activity was already set for Automobile Driving. Lock on Road was set to no. Set it to yes and everything works as it should. I very much appreciate all the help.

Bob928, Jun 28, 2023
  9. Bob928

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would have thought Automotive profile + Automobile Driving would have been enough to make it auto-route as 'Lock on Road' used to be used in the old days when Satnavs drifted (due to error) and made it look like you was off road when you wasn't, anyway it's working now which is good

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2023
Ask a Question