Rino 120 Data Cable

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by GlennMc, Aug 25, 2022.

1. GlennMc

GlennMc

I have a Rino 120 that has been around for at least 15 years and I’m quite happy with it. I have however lost the original serial data cable and it seems like they are discontinued. Does anyone know of a source or have one for sale?
    Thanks in advance, Glenn

GlennMc, Aug 25, 2022
  2. GlennMc

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You will find it very difficult to find this item, I think the Rino 120 has a similar (but not the same) connector to the GPS12, GPS38, GPSmap60, GPSMap176 etc. Like this :-

2022-08-26_11.31.33.jpg 2022-08-26_13.57.53.jpg

The Rino 120 connector appears to have a 'Flat' section (shown in blue) making it unique, the 4 connectors seem to have the same function, I'm guessing it has a different shape connector because the other units use 12 Volts or more and the Rino 120 is only 4.5 Volts

You will also have problems connecting the Rino 120 to a modern computer as they no longer have serial (RS232) ports so you would also needs a serial to USB converter like this one :-

ser6.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2022
  3. GlennMc

GlennMc

Thanks for responding. I can find a few used 120’s on the market that have a cable with them so I may go that route. I have used a serial port adapter in the past and will do the same. I read somewhere on this site that there is a 32 bit / 64 bit OS issue that could be a problem but I don’t know. I don’t want to buy a new one at $650 to replace a perfectly good gps just because Garmin considers it outdated.

GlennMc, Aug 26, 2022
  4. GlennMc

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, I found that it is best to look for a serial to USB converter that works on the operating system you have on your computer, for example the one in the picture will work on Windows XP but nothing newer, so if you have say Windows 10 or 11 make sure the seller states it will work on those operating systems

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2022
  5. GlennMc

wolfinstl

Found this thread looking for a USB C cable but saw the discussion so thought I'd chime in.

I have three rinos two 120s and one 130. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and attached them via a usb to serial adapter. Both MapSouce and WebUpdater both found the devices, recognized them and transferred firmware and maps to them.

Researching what I'd need to load map data on them I read that anything newer than Windows 8.1 wouldn't have the drivers for the serial cable. That appears incorrect.

Two issues of note beyond the scope of the post are:
    1. I talked with Garmin to ask about what new GPS units are compatible with the 110/120/130 model in regards to proximity location (I use them to keep track of friends hiking) and they said none of the new models work with the old rinos. Looks like I'm going to keep an old machine around just to power on and update maps on my rinos.
    2. My two 120s have different software versions. One is 3.90 and the other is 5.90 which is the same as my 130. <shrug>
    3. I'm using gpsfiledepot[.]com to download maps which I install and then MapSource sees them. Not suggesting you use it but throwing it the pot with the other information as it's working and allowed me to get info for an upcoming Yellowstone trip.

Cheers,

wolfinstl, Jun 15, 2023
Ask a Question