Weird GPS Connection Situation

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by wmp, Sep 11, 2024.

1. wmp

wmp

Hi

I have an electric outboard motor with integrated GPS. It successfully connects to GPS (only uses GPS) satellites quickly at my house in Seattle WA. Problem is I use the outboard 5 hours away in eastern WA state. I cannot get a connection there (tried multiple locations - all with clear unobstructed views of the sky). I have tried everything - power cycling, waiting over 2 hours for a connection, etc. The menu on the outboard shows that the GPS is live, but that 0 satellites are connected. I can't figure out what is going on. Neither can the outboard manufacturer.

I have a Garmin fish finder that also has integrated GPS. When sitting side by side to my outboard it connects right up to GPS (only uses GPS also) satellites... so I know I can see the satellites.

Anyone have any ideas?

wmp, Sep 11, 2024
  2. wmp

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's hard to explain why the outboard GPS won't find satellites in the eastern WA state when the Garmin GPS in the same location will, I would look for other differences (apart from location) between Seattle WA where it works and eastern WA where it doesn't, eg :- temperature or power supply, you may find the unit only works when it is warm or the power supply at home is OK but the 'away' supply is too high / low / noisy

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 17, 2024 at 11:23 PM
  3. wmp

wmp

Thanks for your thoughts. There isn't any material difference in ambient temperatures in the locations (not at this time of year!). I am using the same battery as the source of power (48V Epoch) in both locations. I am truly baffled, because it just doesn't make sense. I have a GPS antenna/booster on order - I am going to try that out and see if a better antenna and amplified signal solve the problem...

wmp, Sep 18, 2024 at 1:26 AM
  4. wmp

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I appreciate the difficulty of testing a GPS that is part of an outboard motor, but It would be interesting to know if it successfully gets a satellite 'fix' in a other location apart from home

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 19, 2024 at 12:21 AM
Ask a Question